Moroccan Style Chickpea Stew
My Moroccan Style Chickpea Stew is a super healthy and super yummy meal to start your year off right. This vegan, gluten-free stew is packed with healthy ingredients and seasonings that bring you a bold and unique flavorful spice combination of cinnamon, ginger, cumin, and cayenne pepper.
Who says you have to eat salad to be healthy? NOT ME! I love a healthy dish, but it has to make me full. You know, that feeling that I ate something other than rabbit food. Do y’all know what I mean?
Happy Tuesday y’all! Two days into the New Year and so far it’s been a great year! So today’s recipe was a dish I actually made yesterday. After I made my Cara Cara Orange Cinnamon Rolls for breakfast, we ate the entire pan of them...and by we I mean my husband and I; that’s like 5 each! It was heavenly, seriously y’all, you gotta try them. Anyhow, after eating all of them we proceeded to enjoy our day off by lounging around the house, relaxing in our hot tub for a bit and bing watching “Better Call Saul”. It was a complete waste of a day, we did nothing productive and we loved every damn minute of it! Anyhow, my point is since we obviously did nothing to work off all off those cinnamon rolls I needed to fix a dinner dish that would hopefully counteract the breakfast and the day we oh-so much enjoyed.
This hearty vegetarian stew is packed with chickpeas, tender chunks of sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and spinach for some extra nutritional goodness. It’s perfect for a meatless dinner! For spices, I only used curry paste, cayenne pepper, ginger, cinnamon, cumin, paprika and some salt and pepper.
What I absolutely love about this recipe is how simple, easy and delicious it is! Perfect for a weeknight meal during this cold winter season.
Sauté onion and garlic.
And veggies and sauté again.
Add veggie broth and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add chickpeas and spinach; simmer 5 minutes.
Craving more deliciousness? Keep in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for new posts, updates and more. You can also contact me with any questions, comments or inquiries! Y'all can also see this recipe and many other great links by visiting: Miz Helen's Country Cottage Full Plate Thursday
- 2 cans (14 oz) chickpeas, drained
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic, heaping
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 bulb small fennel
- 4 oz spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon curry paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable stock concentrate
- 14 oz canned petite diced tomatoes
- 12 oz quinoa
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 oz fresh cilantro, chopped for serving
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté for about one minute.
- Lower heat, add all of the spices and sauté for about two more minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes carrots bell pepper and fennel and sauté for another two minutes.
- Stir in water, vegetable stock concentrate, and the tomatoes; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and let simmer for approximately 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare quinoa according to package instructions boiling it with the apple cider vinegar and lemon juice.
- Add chickpeas and spinach to the stew and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Serve in a bowl with quinoa, stew and a sprinkle of chopped cilantro.