White Cheddar Mac n’ Cheese – sharp white cheddar blended into a creamy cheesy sauce tossed with macaroni and topped with a sprinkle of toasted panko breadcrumbs = comfort food perfection!
So Miss Emma loves mac n' cheese. Loves it! Seriously, if we go to Cracker Barrel she orders a veggies platter with three (3) sides of macaroni and cheese and one (1) side of fresh apples. She is such a nut, but she knows her macaroni. The dish gets a double thumbs up; she couldn’t say much because she kept shoveling it in her mouth.
This White Cheddar Mac 'n Cheese is made super rich and creamy with sharp white cheddar cheese. As with most mac & cheeses, this tasty dish is best enjoyed immediately but reheats wonderfully too.
- 1 lb. elbow noodle pasta (or pasta of your choice)
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- 6 cups freshly shredded white Cheddar
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp butter
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Boil pasta in salted water according to package directions.
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat; sprinkle in flour and whisk and cook 2-3 minutes; add in salt and pepper.
- Slowly pour in milk whisking until smooth; heat to a low boil until thickened. (Do not stop until thick. Remove from heat.)
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish and add the hot pasta to the dish.
- Sprinkle the freshly shredded cheese over the pasta.
- Pour the thickened cream sauce over the hot pasta and cheese and let it sit until the cheese melts.
- Stir everything together.
- Melt 2 butter over medium heat; add in panko bread crumbs, stirring constantly 3-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle panko over the mac and cheese.
- Bake in oven for 12-15 minutes.