Now I am a firm believer that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It kick-starts your metabolism, gives you the energy you need to get things done and helps you focus at work or at school. Your best bet is a mix of foods that gives you a healthy well-balance meal; including carbohydrates, protein, healthy fats, and fiber. Normally I make sure that my family resists the sugary cereal, pastries and doughnuts; BUT this weekend they deserve a treat, we are human you know!
Since we are going to be loading up on sugar, this breakfast will get served with a few slices of oven baked turkey bacon.
This Strawberries & Cream French Toast is one of the best I have ever had. The strawberries are scrumptious, the cream cheese is to die for and the French toast gives you the heartiness needed to kick your day off.
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, diced
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced thin
- 1 ¼ cup sugar, divided
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 ½ tsp vanilla or almond extract, divided
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 loaf of Texas Toast
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Combine 3 cups diced strawberries, 1 cup of sugar, 2 Tbsp lemon juice and ½ tsp vanilla or almond extract in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil; then lower heat to a gentle simmer.
- As the strawberries become soft mash them with a fork a bit; continue to simmer until syrup is thickened and reduced by about ½, or for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Using a mixer, add softened cream cheese, sour cream, powdered sugar, and 1 tsp vanilla or almond extract; beat on medium high until incorporated, about 2 minutes.; make sure to scrap around the sides and bottom, then beat again. Set filling aside.
- In a pie pan, whisk together milk, eggs, 1 tsp vanilla or almond extract, and cinnamon; Make sure to whisk cinnamon into the wet ingredients.
- Spread a layer of cream cheese filling on one side of sliced Texas toast. Filling should be spread thin but still thick enough to thoroughly cover bread (too much and it will fall apart while cooking).
- Arrange strawberries in an even layer on top of the cream cheese spread, keeping a ¼ inch gap around the sides of the bread
- Spread another thin layer of cream cheese on a new slice of Texas Toast, then gently press it to the other slice with the strawberries on it (like a sandwich).
- Spray a skillet with cooking spray and warm over medium heat.
- Dip the French toast (sandwich) into the wet egg mixture, coating both the top and the bottom.
- Place the French toast in the skillet and cook each side until golden brown, about 2-4 minutes per side. Repeat to fill skillet.
- Serve immediately with the strawberry syrup.
- I will usually assemble all the french toast 'sandwiches' before I begin dipping in egg mixture and cooking them. I find it saves times and makes life easier.