Perfect Homemade Gingerbread Cookies
My Perfect Homemade Gingerbread Cookies are sweet, soft, and perfectly spiced. This is the perfect cut-out cookie recipe, and will quickly become a family favorite for the holidays!
Countdown to Christmas Cookies - Week 7
Just one, 1, more week until Christmas Eve! Bring it on and with that I bring you my favorite Perfect Homemade Gingerbread Cookie recipe! It makes perfectly soft and chewy cookies and they have the perfect amount of gingery molasses flavor.
Y’all gingerbread cookies are a must-have, a Christmas classic for sure and it’s about time I finally got around to sharing my family’s tried and true recipe!
I’ve always loved gingerbread cookies but I’m not so much of a fan of the cardboard-so I make these every year and we’ve grown to love these slightly softer cookies. The bonus however, if you do prefer a crispier cookie just roll the dough a bit thinner and bake a little longer if needed. Perfection!
Mix wet ingredients.
Make dry ingredients.
Roll out dough.
Cut with cookie cutters
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter (3 sticks), softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, combine butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add eggs one at a time until incorporated.
- Add molasses; mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the soda, salt, spices, and flour.
- Add the flour 1/3 cup at a time to the wet mixture; mix until smooth.
- Split the dough in half, flatten each on a piece of plastic wrap, wrap it up, and stick it the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Once your dough has chilled, roll it out on a floured countertop until it's about 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut into desired shapes.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- On a lined or greased baking sheet, bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool on wire racks before you decorate with frosting, candy, and/or sprinkles.