Old Fashioned Orange Icebox Cookies
Aunt Ella’s Old Fashioned Orange Icebox Cookies are delicately citrus flavored cookies that make into an easy and satisfying dessert or snack.
Fall is here y’all! I absolutely adore this time of year! I just love all the happiness, joy, kindness and the memories that this time of year brings. I know y’all are probably thinking this chicks crazy. It’s just about to be October. Well, in my life y’all the holiday season starts NOW! My son’s birthday is October 12th, then we have fall break, the Halloween, followed by birthdays on November 6th, 17th, 19th and 21st, followed by Thanksgiving. Then comes December! We have birthdays on the 1st, 3rd, 14th, 18th and 24th (yay me! Here comes 44!) followed by Christmas and New Years....Y’all the party in my life begins now and doesn’t stop until next year. So much fun! The stress however…y’all it can go!
You know what I mean? Why do I do this to myself? I allow my stress level to skyrocket each and every year! It’s crazy…I just need to let life roll and know that in the end everything works out and everyone is happy just like always but alas I always over do it - But not today because today we are making Old Fashioned Orange Icebox Cookies! The recipe is straight from My Great Great Aunt Ella's kitchen!
This recipe is perfect for cookie exchanges, family gatherings, gifts or just because. This is the perfect make-ahead, slice & bake cookie recipe; and the delicate orange citrus flavor is guaranteed to please the masses!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1/8 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp orange juice
- 2 ½ cups flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- ½ cup pecans, finely chopped
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, and brown sugar until well blended.
- Add egg and beat until light and fluffy.
- Beat in orange juice and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, salt and soda; stir in butter mixture.
- Stir in zest and pecans.
- On waxed paper, shape dough into two (2) 1 ¼ inch diameter rolls; wrap in waxed paper; chill for at least 3 hours or until firm.
- When ready to bake preheat oven to 375°F.
- Slice into 3/16 inch thick slices.
- Place slices ½ inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake in oven for 8 to 9 minutes or until golden.
- Be careful not to over bake because browning butter may over power the orange flavor.