Old Bay Crab Rolls
Warm crab legs with Old Bay and Shallot-Chive mayo, topped with butter-toasted panko crumbs stuffed between golden toasted layers of sourdough bread makes an easy and delicious lunch, dinner or get-together meal.
Everyone loves a lobster roll but who can afford lobster? So, why not try an Old Bay Crab Roll? Warm succulent crab legs seasoned and stuffed in between sourdough bread topped with toasted Panko crumbs. Seafood awesomeness...even here in dry Arizona!
I love a good lobster roll! And with the end of summer here and school back in session I have been reminiscing about vacations come and gone. Last summer my family did the Pacific Coast Highway from the bottom of California all of the way to Oregon. So, needless to say I’ve had several rolls over that trip and now I have a massive craving! Y’all I am talking serious craving; for a lobster roll AND a vacation! Ha ha! But let’s be honest, I live in AZ…a fresh lobster isn’t easy or affordable to come by. So, in this recipe I’ve swapped the lobster for easy-to-find crabmeat to give you an amazing version that you can make at home!
My goodness, I wish I could have lobster and crab every day! Don't you?
While lobster meat can be costly, if you look sometimes you can find deals at your local grocery store. If you're lucky enough live near the water, you might even want to check out the local waterfront or farmers market to find a good price. OR y’all if your like me you can get crab meat instead and still get that craving satisfied.
Well, wherever you get your lobster or crab from, you're going to LOVE it in this recipe!
Seriously y’all, if you haven't had an Old Bay Crab Roll yet, please… PLEASE… do something special for yourself and make one!
You know deserve a nice treat like this once in a while! 🙂
- 4 cups cooked crabmeat meat, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 Tbsp shallot, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tsp coarse salt
- ½ tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 4 Tbsp butter, soften and divided
- 1 ½ cup panko crumbs
- 1 loaf crusty sourdough bread, cut into 2-inch thick slices and top-split down the center
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- In a large saucepan melt 1 Tbsp of butter over medium-high heat; add crabmeat and heat until warmed through.
- In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, lemon juice, chives, shallot, salt, and Old Bay; mix thoroughly; add warmed crabmeat; mix well.
- Using the remaining 2 Tbsp butter, butter both sides of the sourdough bread slices (like you would for a grilled cheese sandwich).
- Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat; add 1 Tbsp of butter and melt; once melted add in panko crumbs; cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until panko starts to brown; remove from heat, place panko on a plate to cool and set aside.
- In the same skillet over medium-high heat; toast bread slices until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side, when browned place the bread onto paper-towel-lined plate to help absorb oils; continue working in batches until all has been toasted.
- Fill each slice of bread with ¼ - ½ cup crabmeat mixture.
- Top with about ¼ cup toasted panko
- Serve with a lemon wedge.