Mexican Pizza – refried beans, seasoned beef sandwiched between crisp flour tortillas and then topped with chunky tomato sauce, shredded cheese blend, zesty green onions and sliced olives.
So in the spirit of Cinco de Mayo, this week’s meal plan is packed full of spicy, flavorful Mexican dishes. Tonight’s dinner is my version of Mexican Pizza.
Now I must warn y’all in high school and into college I worked at Taco Bell (yes, 5 years there). So I believe that my pizza isn’t necessarily like a traditional Mexican pizza; it’s more like a Taco Bell pizza – but better; because it’s homemade!
What do ya say, give this easy and quick Mexican Pizza a try and let me know what y’all think!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 pkg Taco seasoning
- 1 can (31 oz) refried beans
- ¼ - ½ cup water
- 1 can (28oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (10 oz) Rotel
- 1 can (4 oz) tomato paste
- 8 (6 inch) flour tortillas
- 2 cup cooking oil
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 2 cup Mexican Blend cheese
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- ¼ cup sliced black olives
- Cook the ground beef over medium heat until brown, then drain.
- Return meat to pan and add taco seasoning; simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Heat oil in frying pan over medium-high heat.
- When oil is hot, fry each tortilla for about 30-45 seconds per side and drain on paper towels (pop any bubbles that appear in the tortillas to keep them flat); tortillas should become golden brown.
- Heat refried beans and add ¼ - ½ cup water to get them to a smooth runnier consistency.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the crushed tomatoes, rotel and tomato paste; heat over medium-high heat until warmed through.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Stack each pizza by first spreading 1/3 cup beans on one tortilla.
- Next add 1/3 cup meat, then another tortilla.
- Top the second tortilla with ¼ cup tomato sauce.
- Divide the tomato, cheese, onions and olives evenly and top in that order.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes.