Johnny Marzetti Goulash
My Johnny Marzetti Goulash is a classic pasta casserole that is perfect comfort food that can feed a crowd and is sure to please them all!
Have you ever had Johnny Marzetti aka Goulash Casserole? It is delicious! Goulash gives you a hearty combination of ground beef, onions, tomato sauce, mushrooms, noodles, bell pepper and cheddar cheese that brings you a warm, delicious, filling, irresistible and easy to prepare weeknight family meal!
Hamburger Helper, Not This Time...
So this past weekend Miss Emma spent the night at a friend’s house which is nothing out of the ordinary. Y’all know at 14 years old she lives off of soda, pizza, ice cream and friends. Well this particular friend decided to make Miss Emma some Hamburger Helper which Miss Emma has never had before. Now let me say I have nothing against Hamburger Helper. In Fact, that was one of the first things I learned to cook at 14 years old. My family was poor and this was a regular in the rotation of weeknight meals because let’s face it; it is cheap, easy and quick. BUT now times have changed. Miss Emma lives with a food blogger. She hasn’t eaten the same meal in months. We are always switching things up. So, bless her heart Miss Emma sees it and thinks oh it like goulash - Sweet! Needless to say she was not impressed. She came home the next day and insisted that I make goulash so she could enjoy what she thought was going to be for dinner. LOL!
The Real Deal - Johnny Marzetti Goulash
Johnny Marzetti Goulash is one of those classic meals y’all can have on the table in under 30 minutes or y’all can make this ahead of time and refrigerate it overnight or pop it in the freezer unbaked for a quick meal later. This casserole is not only great a quick and easy weeknight dinner but also for potlucks, tailgates and so on! Anywhere you have a hungry crowd of people. This is a very basic version of Johnny Marzetti. Get creative and add veggies that your family enjoys. This is a great base recipe to start with.
Y’all with this Johnny Marzetti Goulash all you need is a simple salad and some crusty bread and TA-DA! Your family will get to enjoy a quick and delicious weeknight meal that everyone will enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large white onions, sliced
- 1/2 lb mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 8 oz elbow noodles, cooked
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded & divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter; add the onions, mushrooms, celery, green bell pepper and garlic.
- Cook until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink; make sure to break up the meat by stirring often.
- Still in the tomato sauce, salt and pepper; bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low.
- Add the noodles and 1 cup of cheese, mix well.
- Spoon into a 13’ x 9’ baking dish; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.