Honey BBQ Baked Chicken Nuggets – sweet, sticky and finger-lickin’ good popcorn style chicken nuggets.
Preseason football has begun. We are in week 3 of the preseason and that means we have 2 more weeks until we are in full-blown football season. That means I’ve got roughly 2 weeks to get my finger food football snack game on! The saddest part for me is I know last year I made some amazing stuff but as of today I can’t remember a single thing I made; not one other than chips and salsa because that’s just a given, must-have. Man, another sign that I’m getting older *SIGH* as if my kids weren’t already reminders enough.
Honey BBQ Baked Chicken Nuggets – finger-lickin’ good! What else can I say? It’s the perfect finger food for those game day meals. A simple baked, not fried, popcorn style chicken nugget that is coated in a sweet, sticky honey BBQ sauce. Guests, children, hubbies and the like are sure to love it!
You can see this recipe and lots of other recipes, crafts and oh so sweet stuff at the Moonlight and Mason Jar Link Party!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces (about 1-inch cubes)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 box panko breading
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 ½ cup your favorite BBQ sauce (I used Sweet Baby Rays)
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup ketchup
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with non-stick spray; set aside.
- Place the cut pieces of chicken in a large bowl; add flour and stir/ toss to coat each piece; set aside.
- Place the panko crumbs, salt, pepper, and garlic powder into a large bowl and stir to combine; set aside.
- Whisk the eggs and milk together in a small bowl.
- Dip each piece of chicken in the egg mixture, letting any excess drip off; then generously roll in the panko mixture.
- Place onto the prepared baking sheet; repeat with all chicken nuggets.
- Bake for 20 minutes, flipping once at the 10-minute mark. (During this time, I make the sauce in step 6.)
- Heat the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat for 6-7 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Once chicken is done baking, remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Carefully place the chicken bites into a large bowl; pour the warm honey BBQ sauce on top and gently stir to coat.
- Serve warm.