Hawaiian Macaroni Salad – a macaroni salad that makes for an incredible side dish to any summer time meal.
Here in Flagstaff we have a restaurant called ‘Aloha Hawaiian BBQ’. My husband loves the place. They serve inexpensive, quality fast food; perfect for the local college kids, that’s also why they are always busy. In hopes to make my hubby a happy man, I made my version of Hawaiian Macaroni Salad. I am happy to report that I got 2-thumbs up!
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups mayonnaise, divided
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1½ tsp salt
- 3 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced thin (about 5-7 scallions)
- 1½ cups shredded carrot
- 1½ cups minced celery
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil; add macaroni and cook until very soft, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Drain, return the pasta to the pot and immediately toss with vinegar.
- Let cool ten minutes.
- While cooling pasta, in a large bowl, whisk together 1 cup of the mayonnaise, 1½ cups of the milk, the brown sugar, salt and pepper.
- Once the macaroni has cooled for 10 minutes, toss with the mixed sauce; fold in the scallion, carrot, and celery, cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Whisk together the remaining 1 cup mayonnaise and ½ cup milk and pour over macaroni salad; toss well to coat.
- Taste and add more salt or pepper as needed.
- Refrigerator until cold.