Hatch Green Chili Mac and Cheese
My Hatch Green Chili Mac and Cheese has folks who aren’t Mac and cheese fans, loving this hot and spicy take on this traditional, classic comfort food.
What could make mac & cheese even better? Taking it on a southwestern spin with roasted green chiles and a combination of cheddar and jack cheeses!
Holy crap y’all I think I bought to many green chilies! I didn’t think it was possible but….well who am I kidding? There is no such things as to much BUT I will say that I think my family if getting tired of the fact that every dish I serve has some sort of green chili in it! Ha ha ha! It just so dang good!
So, first off let me say that yesterday was our “cheat day” and boy did we cheat! This recipe is by no means at all healthy! Literally, there are 4 cups of shredded cheese and 1/2 cup of butter…insert slight panic attack here especially because I think I literally ate half of the pan myself! BUT it is totally worth it! And I would do it again! I have no shame.
Cook the noodles.
Melt the butter, add flour and seasonings; blend in milk and boil.
Add cheese and stir until melted; fold in noodles and green chilies.
Bake until hot and bubbly.
- 4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (14 oz)
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (8 oz)
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (8 oz)
- 1 cup chopped green chilies
- Cook macaroni as directed on package.
- While macaroni is cooking, melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat.
- Stir in flour, salt, pepper, mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook over medium low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat.
- Stir in milk; Heat to boiling, stirring constantly; boil and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in cheese; cook, stirring occasionally, until cheese is melted.
- Drain macaroni.
- Gently fold in macaroni and green chilies into cheese sauce; pour into ungreased casserole dish.
- Bake uncovered at 350F for 20 minutes or until bubbly.