Green Chili Vegetarian-Style Enchilada Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
A great alternative to your traditional enchiladas; here is a delicious blend of whole grains, black beans, corn, lentils, bell peppers and green chilies loaded into a roasted spaghetti squash and adorned with melty cheese.
Who Loves green chilies? I know I DO! One of my favorite dishes to make is this Green Chili Vegetarian-Style Enchilada Stuffed Spaghetti Squash. This is an easy to make, filling and tasty dinner. My family has always loved green chilies and enchiladas, so making them stuffed into a spaghetti squash seemed like a no-brainer and I was right! This dinner is always a hit!
The bonus that makes this dinner even better is that I have discovered Birds Eye Steamfresh Protein Blends. I saw these and had to give them a try. In this recipe I used the Southwest Style. This simple package with a few simple add-ins comes together to make a quick, easy and amazingly delicious Green Chili Vegetarian-Style Enchilada Stuffed Spaghetti Squash.
Roast the spaghetti squash
Combine and Heat the enchilada blend.
Refill the squash shells and bake.
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper (about ¼ tsp each)
- 1 package Birds Eye Steamfresh Protein Blends – Southwest Style
- ½ cup green enchilada sauce
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 4 oz. can diced green chilies
- ½ cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, I used a combination of both
- Spaghetti Squash
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line baking sheet with foil.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds.
- Spread 1 Tbsp olive oil over the inside of each half and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the squash cut side down on the baking sheet and roast until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Let the squash cool for about 5 minutes before scooping out the strands with a fork and placing them in a bowl.
- Reserve the squash skins placing them cut side up back on the foil lined baking sheet.
- Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Filling
- Preheat your oven to broil.
- Cook the Birds Eye Steamfresh package according to directions.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat stir together the enchilada sauce, green onion, green chilies, corn, and cilantro.
- Once the Steamfresh mixture is cooked remove the enchilada sauce from the heat and stir together.
- Pour the enchilada filling in with the spaghetti squash strands and stir together until combined.
- Scoop the filling back into the spaghetti squash shells and top with the shredded cheese.
- Place the spaghetti squash back onto the baking sheet and broil in the oven until the cheese is melted, then serve.