Green Chili Black Bean Corn Chowder – a delicious, thick corn chowder that’s made even more wonderful with roasted green chilies, black beans, cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream.
Ok y’all…it’s been snowing since last Thursday. Can y’all say snow days? Which means no school! Yesterday was day three of no school. Yes, this morning’s post is late because once again there is no school – 4 days people! FOUR! Plus, the weekend….now a snow day here and there is wonderful. It’s still exciting, pretty and the kids are calm but by day four, let me tell you someone is not going to survive this day. Miss Emma needs to go to school. She needs her friends, cheer and some stimulation other than her phone. Me, I just want a break!
Snow, obviously, we have it, lots of it, it’s cold and it’s still snowing and with another snow day Miss Emma is in my space. So, what am I to do? Make soup of course!
Soup, or should I say chowder, doesn’t get much better than this. Thick, creamy and flavorful. This savory chowder is filled with potatoes, green chilies, black beans and corn which come together to satisfy the tastebuds.
This is a perfect soup to serve on a cold winter day. I always serve with fresh baked green chili cheddar cornbread (watch for that recipe because it’s coming soon – tomorrow)!
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 lb red potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 4 cups)
- 1 4 oz can of diced roasted green chilies
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 ½ cups frozen corn
- 1 14.5 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 2 quarts (8 cups) chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup flour
- Sour cream for topping
- Cheddar Cheese for topping
- Green Onions for topping
- In a large saucepan, melt butter and sauté onion and bell pepper until tender.
- Add broth and potatoes; bring to a boil; cover and simmer for fifteen minutes.
- Stir in mustard, salt, pepper, paprika, and red pepper flakes.
- Add corn, green chilies, green onion, and 2½ cups of milk; bring to a boil.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and remaining milk and mix well.
- Gradually add this to the chowder while stirring constantly, for two minutes or until thick and bubbly.
- Serve topped with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of cheddar cheese and green onions.