Food Truck Fried Tacos – a puffy, crisp corn tortilla wrapped around a seasoned corn meal beef mix that’s fried to perfection and then dressed with lettuce, tomatoes and cheddar cheese.
Y’all I love crisp fried tacos and if you know food trucks, y’all know they are the best! There is something amazingly satisfying about biting into the taco and having the salty shell blend with the fiery beef blend mixed with the cool crisp lettuce and sharp bite of cheddar cheese. The enjoyment of trying to keep the filling from getting everywhere…ah, I love it! Then if you’re like me you add a heaping spoonful of fresh homemade guacamole….oh man I could eat like 5 of them without batting an eye.
Homemade Food Truck Fried Tacos are a perfect weeknight meal. They are so easy to make and if y’all have never had them, I highly recommend that you do! Taco Bell, those store-bought shells, heck even the soft flour tortillas we all love will never be the same!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup water
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp cornmeal
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ketchup
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp Accent seasoning
- 20 corn tortillas
- 4 to 12 cup canola oil, for frying
- Toothpicks to secure tacos
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- shredded lettuce, tomato, sour cream, salsa, guacamole, for topping
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, water, flour, cornmeal, chili powder, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, garlic powder, onion powder and Accent; combine well using your hands working all of the spices into the meat.
- In a medium skillet, brown the beef mixture until cooked through.
- Heat enough oil to cover the tacos in a large, deep saucepan over medium high heat to 350°F.
- Warm the tortillas in the microwave for about 30 seconds or until soft and pliable.
- Use a dinner spoon to scoop a small amount of meat right down the center of one tortilla; fold the tortilla in half and secure it by weaving a toothpick through the top of the tortillas.
- Using tongs, place the folded taco (I do 2 tacos at a time) in the hot oil, and cook about 2-3 minutes, or until as crispy as you'd like.
- When the taco is ready to come out of the oil, pick the taco up with the tongs and gently tilt to allow grease to drain out, place the taco in a paper towel lined pie plate and repeat with remaining tacos.
- Serve with your favorite taco toppings.