Dutch Apple Cake
My Dutch Apple Cake is another hand-me-down recipe from my grandmother. It’s a simple vanilla cake, topped with sliced apples and a cinnamon sugar mixture perfect for the holidays or as a just because dessert!
Do you love cake? What about apple pie? Well now here’s a recipe that combines the best of both of them.
Oh my goodness y’all its been over a week now that I have been back to an official full-time blogger. I am cooking, baking and just enjoying doing what I feel my true calling is. It’s been wonderful! With that, I must admit, there are several people who I worked with in my last position that I truly miss. In fact I have a little guilt still that I left them behind to deal with the day to day drama.
This weekend however, I was lucky enough to be able to go see two of them, Ed and Jeanie. They are an awesome married couple who used to do property inspections at this company (they left at the same time I did and for the same reasons but that’s a whole other story). Truly they were so much more than inspectors....they were my support system, my encouragers, my partners in tag-teaming the boss, my sounding board and most importantly, they are my dear friends. Anyhow, they invited my hubby and I over for dinner and it was wonderful! We had great conversation, good laughs and it was so refreshing to be able to talk about other things besides the ex-company. Anyhow, y’all are probably thinking what does this have to do with Dutch Apple Cake? Well Jeanie made BBQ Ribs, potatoes and coleslaw so I of course offered to bring a dessert and this my friends is the dish I provided.
It’s a simple vanilla cake, topped with tender, sliced, sweet apples and a cinnamon sugar mixture perfect for the holidays or as in this case a dessert!
Combine crust ingredients.
Top with apples
Top with cinnamon sugar.
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 3 apples, peeled, cored and cut into eights
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 Tbsp flour
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Coat an 8 x 8 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake dry ingredient; whisk to mix.
- Add the butter and mix well.
- Add the yolk and milk and mix until combined.
- Using your fingers, press the cake mixture into the bottom of the baking dish making sure to spread enough to cover the bottom.
- Arrange your apples on top of the cake mix in the pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients and blend well.
- Sprinkle this mixture on top of the apples until evenly covered.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the apples feel soft when poke with a toothpick or cake tester.
- Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes, the enjoy!
- This is amazing served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.