Chocolate Cherry Shortbread Cookies
My Chocolate Cherry Shortbread Cookies are pretty, delicious shortbread style chocolate cherry cookies are perfect for holiday cookie exchanges! Your guests will never guess how easy they are to make!
Countdown to Christmas Cookies - Week 6
Just two, 2, more weeks until Christmas Eve! That means two more weeks until I turn 44 years old. Yep, I am a Christmas Eve baby. As a kid it was great but as an adult I find that I am so focused on everyone else that sometimes I let me needs slip.
This past week, all of my needs have gotten pushed to the side. Literally this past week my step-son moved out of the house on to his own; my dryer broke and about half of the electricity in my house stopped working. Plus then add on the normal weekly demands of work, blogging, cheer practice, basketball games and so on.....I am at my wits end. Literally about to pull my hair out; the Mis Emma comes to me today and tells me there is a Christmas party for sheer that she needs to go to AND can we bring cookies? Mind lost; profanities flew; i think the digs eve ran and hid. So, after a 5 minutes melt down I came to terms with what was my reality. Did I mention that my house is all electric? And no electricity makes baking impossible. Thank goodness I am married to an Electrical Engineer. I don’t know what he did but within 2 hours not only did I have electricity BUT I also had a fixed dryer! Love that man!
With the obvious lack of notice tossed in with the lack of power I picked these Chocolate Cherry Shortbread Cookies. They are perfect because they look so festive and are delicious as well. These Chocolate Cherry Shortbread Cookies are a shortbread style cookie topped with a maraschino cherry that’s tucked into a thumbprint and drizzled with milk chocolate. They’re sure to be a hit for Christmas, Valentine’s Day or any special occasion!
Mix wet ingredients.
Make dry ingredients.
Roll into balls and press with thumbprint
Top with a cherry.
Drizzle with milk chocolate.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- 2.5 tbsp cornstarch
- ⅔ cup unsalted butter - softened
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 27 Maraschino Cherry
- 4 ounces milk chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Put parchment paper in the baking pan and set aside.
- In a medium sized dish combine flour and corn starch; set aside.
- In a large bowl mix butter and sugar using an electric mixer at medium speed, until it becomes light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract and pinch of salt and mix some more.
- Add flour and corn starch and mix at a lower speed for a few minutes.
- Make balls of about 1 inch.
- Place them in the baking pan. Space cookies about 2 inches apart.
- Finally, place a dip in each cookie with your thumb, place a Maraschino cherry in the di- and press with finger until ⅔ of the cherry is inside the ball.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before drizzling with chocolate.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave, in 20 second increments, stirring after each increment until melted.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate over the cookies.