Chicken Pot Pie Soup
My Chicken Pot Pie Soup is a delicious, simple recipe for made from scratch soup. This is complete comfort food in a bowl-creamy chicken soup with potatoes, peas, onion, celery and carrots. All the flavors of a your favorite chicken pot pie without the crust!
What’s more comforting than walking into the house after a long day to the wafting aromas of chicken soup??? Nothing, nothing is more comforting!
Oh my goodness y’all it’s Friday Eve! I’m already counting down the hours until I can call it a “week” and start weekending. This weekend Mr. Steve is in LA and that means Miss Emma and I are on our own for the weekend and that means it’s going to be a good, simple one.
I am trying very hard to keep this weekend unscheduled and open for whatever. Free weekends don’t seem to happen very often especially as we are embarking on the holiday season. In my life the holidays mean going into permanent overdrive. So in lieu of making lots of plans, I’m just going to see where the wind blows Miss Emma and I….who knows, maybe we’ll make a short road trip, maybe baking, movie bingeing....whatever we decide.
The one thing I do know is that I’ll be making and eating my favorite Chicken Pot Pie Soup.
This soup is incredibly rich and creamy, even if you swap milk for the heavy cream. It’s loaded with tender chicken and fresh vegetables; is easy to make and ready to go in about 30 minutes. the best part, it tastes just like the delicious pot pie that inspired it.
Chicken Pot Pie Soup is definitely the perfect comfort food for this time of year, and for lazy weekends such as this one.
Add broth and milk.
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, diced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream or milk
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Heat butter in a large stockpot over medium-high heat until melted (or heat the olive oil until it is shimmering).
- Add onion, carrots, and celery; sauté for 6-7 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add in the garlic and mushrooms, and sauté for an additional 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the flour until it is completely combined, and sauté for an additional 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Gradually add in the chicken stock and heavy cream, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the chicken, potatoes, corn, peas, green beans, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper until combined.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer (be careful not to bring it to a boil!), stirring occasionally so that the bottom of the soup does not stick to the pan.
- Then reduce heat to medium-low, and continue simmering the soup for 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are soft and cooked through.
- Serve immediately, with crackers on top or on the side, if desired.