Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta – Just like the delicious French classic, this quick and easy chicken cordon bleu is made of chicken breasts, ham, Swiss cheese and pasta and comes together for an excellent weeknight meal.
Have I mentioned that my sister is a kindergarten teacher? Yes, she is and having said that by default my entire family works for her to ensure she has everything she needs to be the best teacher she can be. Did that sound politically correct??? Because in all honesty we are her worker bees that are ordered around to create things for her on demand; meaning that she is over my house today having me print all of her back to school name tags, desk tags, and so on while my husband is in our backyard literally creating pencil, crayon, marker and scissor holders out of old logs for each table in her room. She says she loves us but I am beginning to think that she truly loves my laser printer and my hubby’s power tools. Plus, Miss Emma makes a most excellent built-in babysitter for my niece while we are doing all of the work. LOL!
I love my sister! She may be the polar opposite of me on almost every level but I wouldn’t trade her for the world! So, since she is going to be over today…all day I figured I would make this quick, easy and super yummy Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta for lunch. I can throw it together and get back to printing with almost no interruption at all. Plus, my sister can’t cook, like at all, so she will be amazed with shock and awe at how good it is; much like I am amazed with her ability to handle 25+ children all aged 5 years old in a classroom setting. More power to all the teachers out there – I know I couldn’t do it!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 cup of diced cooked ham
- 1 box Rotini, dry pasta (like Rotini)
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 ½ cups Swiss Cheese, shredded (or 14 slices) and divided
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a 12" skillet; add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, then add the chicken; sauté for a couple of minutes just until browned.
- Add diced ham, pasta, water, salt and pepper, and garlic, onion and mustard; stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat (there will still be liquid in the pan) and add 1 cup Swiss cheese (or 8 slices), stir until completely melted.
- Turn mixture into a baking dish, top with remaining Swiss cheese and then breadcrumbs and parsley.
- Place under the broiler for about five minutes (careful not to let it burn).
- Serve hot.