Sweet & Savory Cheddar Scalloped Apples
My Cheddar Scalloped Apples is a unique take on a sweet and savory side dish featuring your favorite fall fruit. Sweet apple slices are layered with tangy Cheddar to make an easy side dish that compliments almost any meal.
Do you remember as a kid eating snacks made of apples and cheese? It was one of my favorites growing up and for years I’ve enjoyed it as a side dish and now you can too!
Y’all with Thanksgiving fast approaching I am trying to share with you some of my family’s tried and true favorites. This side dish never disappoints! Now I know you may hear Cheddar Scalloped Apples and most people’s first thought is....’really?’ But YES! This is savory and sweet side dish is one of our absolute favorites. It’s perfect for Thanksgiving Dinner, any dinner actually, even lunch! And the bonus is that it is quick and easy!
These Cheddar Scalloped Apples is quite simply just awesome! The ingredients all combine to give you a fresh savory and sweet flavor.
Core and slice apples.
Combine spices and tops with apples.
Arrange in baking dish with cheese.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 large tart apples, cored and sliced
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 Tbsp flour
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lightly coat a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Place the apples in a large bowl and sprinkle with cinnamon, flour and sugar.
- Then carefully toss everything together with your hands so the slices are evenly coated.
- Arrange the apple slices in a slightly overlapping pattern in the prepared baking dish.
- Mix 1/4 cup of water and the lemon juice together and pour evenly over the apples.
- Then top the apples with dots butter.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the apples are softened.
- Remove the dish from the oven, remove the foil, and sprinkle the apples with the cheese.
- Return the dish uncovered to the oven and bake for an additional 5 to 8 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven allow to cool; serve warm.