Caramel Corn: sweet, crunchy and delicious is the way to describe this homemade baked in the oven Caramel Corn.
I am not sure why but every year Halloween makes me crave caramel corn. It’s almost like clockwork…so every year right before Halloween I end up making at least one batch; usually it’s more like four batches, who am I kidding?
Now if you’ve made caramel corn before, you know that sometimes the end result is a little soggy. That is not the case here. So, make some, dive in and enjoy!
- 8 cups air-popped popcorn
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 200°F.
- Place the popcorn in a large bowl; set aside.
- Combine the sugar, corn syrup, butter, cream of tartar, and salt in a medium saucepan over a medium-high heat.
- Stir constantly and bring to a boil for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and quickly stir in the baking soda.
- Pour the caramel over the popcorn and stir gently until all the kernels are coated.
- Turn the popcorn out onto a baking sheet and spread trying to separate the popcorn pieces as much as possible.
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool on the pan and break apart large clusters if desired.
- Cover the popcorn tightly once cooled.