Cara Cara Orange Cinnamon Rolls
My Cara Cara Orange Cinnamon Rolls bring you perfect soft, fluffy, gooey, fresh orange flavored cinnamon rolls.
Have y’all ever made orange cinnamon rolls? Well, if so, have you ever made orange cinnamon rolls that are this simple? Or with Cara Cara Oranges?
Happy New Year’s Day!
It is officially January 1, 2018. Here we are again, folks – the start of a new year. The time when we’re usually bursting with motivation and promises to not repeat the mistakes of the past. Now I don’t know about y’all but I can’t quite find the words to sum up 2017.
Whirlwind of chaos. I suppose that sums up life this year, doesn’t it?
My New Years Resolution in 2017 was to have a “year of smooth sailing”. You know, a year where I try not to control every little detail of my life, family and to go with things as they come. Seriously, between my step-daughter living with us in January, my step-son moving home, his moving out of our home, my son moving home and dealing with some court issues, my daughter turning 15, my husband turning 50, health scares and well that’s just the tip of the ice berg.... Well, resolutions are made to be broken, right?!?!????
I didn’t quite manage it, but I did let more things slide in my family and I found the courage to stand up for myself and leave a job that didn’t appreciate me… so maybe that counts?
Anyhow, instead of bringing you a healthy, resolution inspired salad or something. I am treating you today with another delicious breakfast recipe. This sweet morning recipe is for Cara Cara Orange Cinnamon Rolls. I have been making them for years and years and I always make them for New Years Day.
What I absolutely love about this recipe is how simple, easy and delicious it is!
Roll out dough and cut into rolls
Glaze and enjoy!
Craving more deliciousness? Keep in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for new posts, updates and more. You can also contact me with any questions, comments or inquiries! Y'all can see this link and so many other great ideas being shared at Miz Helen's Country Cottage Full Plate Thursday
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1 cup warm milk (2%)
- ¼ cup shortening
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 Cara Cara oranges (use 4 Tablespoons juice and 4 Tablespoon zest)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1-2 Tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 Tablespoons of orange juice
- Dissolve dry yeast and warm water in a large bowl.
- Add milk, shortening, sugar, salt, egg, 3 cups of flour, orange juice and zest.
- Beat until smooth.
- Stir in remaining flour, enough to form a soft dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough for 6-8 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place in a greased bowl, cover dough and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine all filling ingredients; mix until blended and aside until ready to use.
- After 10 minutes, roll the dough out in a 14×8-inch rectangle.
- Spread the softened butter mixture evenly all over the dough.
- Starting with the long edge (14-inch), roll up the dough tightly.
- Cut into 10-12 even rolls and arrange in a lightly greased 9-inch round cake pan or pie dish.
- Loosely cover the rolls with aluminum foil, plastic wrapper a clean dish towel and allow to rise in a warm, draft-free area for 60-90 minutes.
- After the rolls have doubled in size, preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes or until lightly browned.
- To make the glaze, whisk the powdered sugar and remaining orange juice together until smooth. Drizzle or spread over warm rolls.
- Cover the rolls with aluminum foil after 15 minutes to avoid over-browning on top.